Sometimes it’s nice to not be in the spotlight. After all for most of us if we have a baby mama we’re not married to it’s no big deal. If we get drunk and get in a fight, still no biggie as far as the world is concerned. But when you’re a public figure there are some things you just should not do!
We’ve all heard about the “Sperminator” scandal of Arnold Schwarzenegger cheating on Maria Shriver and having a baby with his lover. We’ve all watched the demise of Charlie Sheen’s career and the train wreck that is Lindsay Loan. These public figures have been disgraced and their shame spread around the world via tabloids, the Internet and entertainment news. So today we just have a few words of advice that you should memorize if you are a public figure.
- Don’t get married if you don’t plan to be faithful. Really, if you know you’re a sex addict, and won’t be able to confine yourself to just one woman, don’t say “I Do”! Also avoid the altar if you are doing it on a dare, a bet, a whim or if you don’t know your soon to be spouse’s last name. (The Hangover could be a true story!)
- Don’t indulge in alcohol or drugs if you can’t control your habits. There are functioning alcoholics and drug addicts, but not many. If you’re in the spotlight you don’t want public breakdowns and brawls to be added to your public spreadsheet.
- Don’t make every aspect of your life public. Keep some things private. After all we’ve seen what happened to Jessica Simpson and Britney Spears after their reality television shows chronicled their every move. Divorce, mental illness, loss of children and more.
- Don’t pretend to be someone you’re not. If you’re in the news or if paparazzi follow you around you can’t keep your most secret habits hidden. Just be like Lil’ Wayne and own your habits. There are very few public figures that are as open about their bad habits as Lil Wayne and Snoop Dogg. Take a tip from the famous rappers and be you.
- Last but not least if you’ve every participated in drunken revelry, made a sex tape or cheated on someone come clean before you make it to the stage of being rich and famous. It’s easier to deal with scandal when it’s out in the open before you become a well known figure.
I know not all of us are ever going to be rich and famous public figures, but these rules can also apply to everyday life. Be you, admit that you make mistakes and try to make smart decisions. That’s all any of us can do.