- Don’t spill your guts about an ex. If you’re single at the moment that’s all that matters. What is in the past is in the past and should not be brought up on this promising first date.
- Don’t ask about an ex. Just be happy that the person is on a date with you now, and as far as you know single and free. There will be time later to dig into all the painful areas of the past if you end up having a relationship, but this is just a date.
- Don’t talk about yourself nonstop. Obviously they are impressed with something about you since they agreed to go out with you, why not ask questions and find out what you have in common. First date conversation shouldn’t be one sided. Every question deserves an answer and earns a question from the other person.
- Don’t pretend to be anything other than what and who you are. This is a first date, don’t you want to see if the real you and the real him or her are truly compatible? If you are a meat eater and you find out that your date is a vegetarian don’t suddenly switch and go against your true feelings on the matter. (Just make sure your dinner choice offers some of each).
- Don’t be cheesy. I know that is a broad statement and it varies from person to person. If you truly believe that a man should open the door for a woman then by all means do so, on the other hand if the woman is offended by this then more than likely you’ll not be seeing one another again. But you should know when you are pushing the boundaries of cheesiness when you do things you don’t normally do just to impress or win over your date. Romance is one thing, cheese is completely different.
Remember that in the cartoons there’s always a good angel on one shoulder and a little devil on the other, but in between- is your brain! Use it, and have a fun first date that will let you know for real, whether you should ask for another.