Breaking up with someone can be a very difficult situation for everyone involved. Even if you are totally comfortable with your decision and you know it’s the right one, it is never easy to make that leap. Breaking up means you are ending a chapter of your life and moving on to the next, and it means that you are, more than likely, breaking up any chance of having a future with the person in question. No matter how you slice it, that’s a tough thing to do.
How do you know it’s time for breaking up? What clues tell you the decision is the right one? Here are a few ways to know for sure:
-You get a great raise or promotion at work, and you want to tell everyone you know — but your significant other is on the bottom of that list.
– Breaking up has become one of your major fantasies.
– When you talk about the future with your significant other, you cringe — or you can’t think of a single reason why that person would be in your life in five, ten, or twenty years from now. For you, the future with this person might include dinner on Friday night, and not much else.
– You find yourself fantasizing about other people, or even flirting to a point where you think something might develop, but you don’t want to have sex or even private time with your significant other.
– You look forward to that conference at work, because you know it means you will be away from your partner for that period of time. If they start to talk about going to the conference to keep you company, you consider not going at all.
– You look at online dating sites just to see what you might be missing.
– You find little reasons to pick fights. You know you’re doing it, but you don’t feel all that guilty, because it means you can sit in a bubble bath and read a book instead of making love with your partner at night.
– You start referring to events in your life as something “I” did instead of “we” or “us”
– When your partner is going on a trip with friends, you are glad for the time alone and get disappointed when you realize it’s time for them to return.
– You cheat on them with someone else, and find that you don’t feel guilty at all.
Is it time to call it quits? Breaking up based on only one of the above list is not a good idea, but if you are seeing all of them, or even a majority of them, breaking up is your only option. So do everyone a favor, and make it quick!