Sometimes even the best-laid plans can go awry. How do you know when it’s time to call it quits on a relationship? Sometimes there are crystal-clear moments when you know it’s time to hang it up and walk away, but often the end sneaks up on you with subtle hints. Here are five sure-fire reasons to call it quits for good – and without another moment of hesitation.
- Your partner is abusive. This is one of those situations where you should not think about whether or not it is a good idea to leave. The first time your partner is violent toward you, it is time to pack your bags. Don’t hang around to see if the situation will change! In addition, when you begin to suspect your partner is being verbally or emotionally abusive, it’s time to hit the road. You are always better safe than sorry, and you can find someone else who will treat you much better than that.
- Your partner has cheated. If your partner has strayed, there are serious issues that need serious work – and you can make it all work out if you try, but before you do that, it’s time to take a breather. Your partner needs to reflect on what they might have lost, and you need to decide just how deeply your trust has been broken.
- You have cheated on your partner. The other side of the coin is that you have cheated, and if you have, are you sure you want to be in this relationship at all? Cheating is often a sign of a deeper problem, and you need to figure out what it is – and once you do, maybe you can give the relationship another try. Until then, though, it’s time to move along.
- You would rather be anywhere but there. If you simply can’t stand spending time with your partner, get bored with them, or feel like you have nothing in common, it’s time to take a step back and evaluate things. A bit of a break might give you both a new perspective.
- One of you has an unresolved issue. Addictions, lost loves, rebounds, and other issues can all affect how well you handle a new relationship. If you jumped into the fray too soon, be honest with your partner. You have to take care of yourself before you can take care of someone else!